Sunday, July 17, 2005

Pakistani rock

The first time I got to know that Pakistanis ever had musical talent was when I heard the phenomenal singer Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, whom I , needless to say, miss dearly.But the first time I ever got to know they had talent for rock was when I heard "Junoon".Armed with a really good sense of music, they pretty much bashed it up but what I never really understood was why would every band have to compose music which relied heavily on classical hindustani when they did not have singers who had the potential to deliver it.A classic example was the song "Durr" by Strings.Atrocious singer..simply atricious ..but with due respect to my friend who believed it to be an all-time classic, I do agree with him to the extent that it was composed well.Even the recent hit from "zeher" goes to prove my point.The singer(Atif)'s voice seemed to swing every which way...was he singing at gun point?

2 Comments:

At 3:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI

first time visitor
can't help commenting on your prevous post on batman begins
please.... batman is actually the most believable hero in comicdom. the movie was actually one of the best in the genre.
anyway check out my blog
www.dwaarakavaasin.blogspot.com

besides the statement of Liam Neeson cannot be compared to the gita 4.8 because KRISHNA'S first and categorical assertion is
paritraanaya saadhunam
the use of cha in vinaasaya cha dsushkritaam is supposed to imply that protection of the innocent is paramount. extermination of the wicked is subordinate to that.

also check out my Ramayana blog if you have the time
www.srirangapuravihara.blogspot.com

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Supraja said...

My opinions on batman are entirely my own and maybe prejudiced according to my taste in comic fiction.I agree it could be the best if I could see through your perspective, Anand.Your reference to the Gita is right and I seemed to recollect it after I read your comment.A very thoughtful statement.But reference to it was not to assert the similarity , it was rather to very light-heartedly state what came to my mind when I came across the dialogue..no offence whatsover to our scriptures which I deeply revere

 

Post a Comment

<< Home