Thursday, August 24, 2006

A bomb of another kind

A few days ago, I received a mail from a friend which asked me to type in the word "failure" in google and see the first result.Interestingly, it was the president's website.Amused as I was, I wasnt convinced why and how the president would use that word in his website but the word didnt appear anywhere on the site.So google doesnt entirely rely on a keyword search huh? A few of my other friends who received the same mail were quick to enlighten me on what was actually a prank which exploited the pagerank algorithm of google, called a google bomb!

The trick was that google gave a higher rank to a website that was linked by many websites that had a consistent text and needless to say, in this context, it was "failure".Apparently, it didnt even need a lot of websites to accomplish the task.Now howzzat for a neat trick?

2 Comments:

At 10:58 PM, Blogger adhyayan said...

utna samjh mein nahi aaya..

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Supraja said...

In a nutshell its just to say that you can make a webpage appear on top of a google search even if its in no way related to your search..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home