Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The days I scare me....

I have recently noticed that I have grown increasingly brazen in my statements these days. I gave an extremely pathetic rendition( read "trying to ape my teacher") of Pantuvarali today. Sad part is I didnt even know it was Pantuvarali till we started to sing " Siva siva siva". Thought on my head - " Great! Another great day to cry through my nose. Wonder which new disaster he is teaching me now". He taught me Pantuvarali months ago and I managed to deliberately forget it!Since childhood, I could identify ragams like Kalyani, Sankarabharanm and Mohanam and every other ragam in the likes of Revathi, Mayamalava gowla and Pantuvarali was identified as "sad ragam". I had always managed to steer clear of "Sad ragams" that is, until now.

Conversation between my music teacher and me today after a reasonably good "aping" of Reethigowla:
Shyam sir: So you do listen to Reethigowla- no wonder you are good at it.
Me: Oh well I hate Pantuvarali..who has the time to listen to something that depressing?

I was shocked. I wished I could take it back. That too even after knowing very well that my teacher thrived on ragams like this one.Thankfully he didnt react.

" But I will start from now". Moment salvaged- or so I thought.

Conversation at the end of class:
Me: "Sir, do you know the song, Varugalamo in Maanji?"
Shyam Sir: "No. Never heard of it. Did Krishna( TMK) sing it"
Me: " Yeah he did but stay away from it. Krishna sucks in rendering emotional ragams like maanji and reethigowla or anything close.You have to listen to KVN's rendition on sangeethapriya"

I closed my eyes and wished I vanished. I wish I kept my opinions to myself.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home